Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Freezing Tomatoes

Hello!

I am not much of a gardener, so I leave that up to my guy. I tell him, "You grow it, I'll cook it!"

Right now we have tomatoes like crazy and for some reason people keep giving us more! Well, I discovered something new a few years ago...you can freeze tomatoes! I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Um, duh." but growing up we only canned them and they were sort of bleh when you opened them to cook with. With freezing, there's a freshness that stays in the tomatoes! They are so good to cook with during the off season. I've used them in stir fry, tacos and countless crockpot recipes. It's SUPER easy and you don't need jars and all that canning equipment. Here is the sight I used.

As it turns out there are a lot of other things you can freeze that I didn't realize. Rhubarb is one I grew up thinking you couldn't freeze, but if you cut it into 1/4" chunks, spread on a cookie sheet to freeze and transfer to Ziplocks, it works great. To cook with you leave it frozen and you would blueberries.

Peaches are another one that we would always can in jars, but you CAN freeze them. This site shows you how. The key to both rhubarb and peaches, like blueberries, is NOT thawing them. You use them frozen or the get mushy.

My next project is freezing pumpkin. It's a bit of work, but SO much better than the canned stuff in stores!

Happy harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment